By Jennifer Chandler
Excerpted from The Southern Pantry Cookbook by Jennifer Chandler
Photo by Justin Fox Burks. Food Styling by Jennifer Chandler.
It’s back-to-school time!
Slow cooker dishes like this are ideal for busy weeknight meals. You just throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker in the morning and come dinner time, it’s ready to go.
- 4 split, bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 3 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 bottle (18-ounce) barbecue sauce
- 1 can (12-ounce) Coca-Cola (or other regular soda)
Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Generously season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Add the onion and lemon. Pour the barbecue sauce and soda over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high about 4 hours.
Serve warm with a ramekin of the cooking liquid on the side as a dipping sauce.
Cooking Tip: Slow cookers cook best when the lid remains tightly in place. Opening the lid often will require additional cooking time. Please refer to your machine’s instructions.