By Jennifer Chandler
Excerpted from Simply Grilling by Jennifer Chandler
Photo by Justin Fox Burks. Food styling by Jennifer Chandler.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with these flavorful chicken fajitas hot off the grill.
Chicken fajitas are always a crowd pleaser—inexpensive and easy to prepare. In about 30 minutes, you can have a delicious south-of-the-border-inspired meal on the table.
For the chicken:
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. tequila
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds)
- Vegetable oil, for grill grates
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the fajitas:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion (1 small onion)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- ½ cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup guacamole (optional garnish)
- 1 cup pico de gallo (optional garnish)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional garnish)
To make the chicken: In a shallow, nonreactive dish just large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer, stir together the lemon juice, tequila, hot sauce, olive oil, onion, garlic and cayenne pepper. Place the chicken breasts in the marinade and gently toss until well coated. Cover, place in the refrigerator and marinate overnight.
Preheat a clean grill to medium-high with the lid closed for 8 to 10 minutes. Lightly brush the grates with oil.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off the excess. Discard the marinade. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the chicken on the grill. Close the lid and cook, turning once, until no longer pink in the middle, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the grill. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
To make the fajitas: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the oil until a few droplets of water sizzle when carefully sprinkled in the pan. Add the onion, red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
To serve, thinly slice the chicken across the grain. Arrange the chicken and vegetables on a platter. Serve with warmed tortillas and your favorite toppings. Encourage diners to make their own fajitas by putting the ingredients in the tortillas.